Saturday, June 6, 2015

Learning Java: The First Post

For this first post, I'm going to try to backtrack a bit and mention a couple of the first things that crossed my path in this journey since I had considered making this blog for awhile before actually doing so.

So my main regimen to learn Java, has been to watch tutorial videos online and with the help of my brother who is a programmer, though he is just now learning Java as well.  For the videos, I mostly use a site called lynda.com, which has really great tutorials.  My brother has found some good videos on YouTube as well, but for now, for learning the main core idea and getting started, that's mostly where I go.  At first of course, it's pretty simple, and guides you through installing the JDK and JRE, as well as an IDE, which at first I was using Eclipse, as the videos were too.  As is the norm, the first program it has you create is a "Hello, world!" program.  No problems there.

The first real problem I recall having, is just that I had a disconnect trying to figure out how typing in code and creating classes and objects, converted magically into images.  The next project the videos worked on, used the example of creating an olive press to crush olives and produce olive oil.  So I could see the code and the logic and all that, but how, when and where does it go from simply having it output text that says "You crushed 2 olives and got 4 units of olive oil" to an image of a press and oil?  I think I understand now that you would use different means to accomplish that, what we plan to do for example is use libGDX.  I have also previously dabbled with programs like Blender and Unity, but doing Java from scratch is kinda a different animal.  So I guess I see you would import images and the like, and the code will just dictate how they act.  Still, "rendering" and manipulating 3D images and objects is still a bit over my head, but that's for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment